Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

Educating the great unwashed.

Well... it's almost too much technology at once!
But since my hubby's tech job ended at the end of June, I have now had a full-time "technical assistant" on hand 24/7.  Of course, he's full of suggestions... and this blog is the first of those.  Next came the youtube suggestion, so here is my first attempt at educating the masses. 
For those on the felters' chatlist who expressed concern that felting might have reached its peak, I'd like to suggest that we have only just scratched the surface.  Probably 50% of my weekly customers at http://www.outbackfibers.com/ are totally new to the world of felting.  So for those of you in the world of teaching classes, I suggest that you don't forget the beginners out there.  I realize there are wonderful techniques and expert projects being offered... and that's great.  But there is a constant stream of "newbies" who are frequently asking for basic felting classes.  They often come from a totally non-fiber background, but have seen a piece of work that spoke to them in such a way that they want to know more.
I sometimes watch these fancy cooking shows and chef challenges, but I wonder if there aren't many out there who would just like a simple show that taught them how to make a nice sauce for a piece of fish, or even just a way to get chicken and a couple of vegetables to the table at the same time, in a way that will appeal to the family.
So let's spread the felting knowledge further abroad so that we don't have to explain what we do to those who would look at us as if we have three heads!


Beginner's Felting Instructions
Part 1



Part 2

1 comment:

  1. What lovely beginner tutorials!! I agree...there are many people out there who don't know what felting is at all and would love to try it, once they 'get it'!!

    ReplyDelete